Saturday, August 23, 2008

PLAYING THE "ABORTION CARD"

By SouthDakota (USD)
August 23, 2008

While wandering outside of the Pepsi Center yesterday, I came across some political statements that had been chalked on the sidewalk. One of the first proclamations read, “Obama, the assassin.” Some of the other phrases said, “One thing is for sure, you won't be getting the dead babies' vote!” and “Smile! Your mom chose life!” Many similar statements were scribbled across the sidewalk in various colors. In this vicinity, there was a man holding a sign that read, “Obama's bad for American and Israel.” Few people stopped to ask him about his opinions, but many people took pictures.

Even though I expected there to be protests and mudslinging, I was somewhat taken aback when I read the statements. I never saw any indication of who was responsible for the remarks, but if people feel strongly enough about the issue to chalk sidewalks, they should feel no shame claiming their work. Even though I disagree with the opinions of the man holding the poster regarding Obama and Israel, I have respect for him. It would take a lot of courage to stand in front of thousands of people, many of whom are likely liberals, and oppose their candidate for the presidency. I also would have liked to speak with those who passed by the chalk markings; their opinions on the statements would have been intriguing. I don't think abortion has been as much of an issue this year as it has been in previous elections. Obviously people are still deeply divided over the pro-choice/pro-life issue, but I think more people are concerned with the suffering economy, the unpopular War in Iraq, and the development of innovative renewable energy technologies. It is, however, easier to criticize a political opponent for his or her stand on abortion because the topic incites strong feelings, and people's emotions usually factor into their decision to endorse or reject a candidate. The markings on the sidewalk almost seem like a low blow to Obama. The “abortion card” has been played over and over again in recent political campaigns. Maybe it's time for a new major distinction between liberals and conservatives.

2 comments:

smilla's simple life said...

This is a really thoughtful post - I appreciate it so much! As a pro-life feminist, I am a strong Obama supporter, because I think that his anti-war, pro-family, helpful-to-working-parents, pro-middle class message is more about life than an emphasis on making abortion illegal. When abortion is illegal, we don't live in a pro-life place, we live in a place where women will die to get access to abortion.

I would love to see the end of abortion - but the best way to do that is to have comprehensive sex ed. in schools, create truly safe and effective birth control that everyone has access to, and end violence against women (especially sexualized violence against women - including our objectification in all forms of media).

-Renee Cramer (Drake university professor, blogger, cultural critique, and wishing I was in Denver this wee!)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Professor Cramer on the reflection posted by Drake Students, "Playing the Abortion Card".

Being a strong supporter of pro-life, I realize there is no easy answer and appreciate Dr. Cramer's view. I have personally seen the damage to relationships and families created by abortion. You can never "undo" an abortion or bring back that life.

I'm still not convinced that Obama is the right candidate, but I agree with the post and Dr. Cramer that other issues are more dominate in this election.

Kudos to Drake students and faculty for taking the time to pursue, investigate and report on happenings in Denver.

I've really enjoyed reading the blogs.

Thanks to all who are making this happen.