Friday, August 29, 2008

Thursday, the Big Day...and Friday, Departures

All the Drake students were at Invesco Field with the other professors. This not-so-intrepid professor went on over to help as an "intern" at the Jon Stewart "Daily Show", which airs on Comedy Central network. (Hope you saw it; it was as always hilarious).

Today, 50,000 people are scattering to the four winds. Waits at airports and train stations to clear security are three hours and more. I've chosen sanity over exhaustion and told the students to cover their experience of Thursday for us this weekend, from the calm nucleus of home. (You already formed your own experience of it from television, without absorbing too much of the commentators' rehash, I hope.)

During this trip, I've become much more sympathetic to the media, the broadcasters in particular.

Denver saw an epidemic of "Where's my this?" "I can't find my that." Packing to travel is re-memorizing your whole health and clothing environment. Little things elude you. Reading glasses, the computer cord, a pen, food. It's no wonder larger things are so elusive to a media corps that's moving from place to place constantly, with less and less control over personal environment s more and more survival items go missing.

Hereafter, I'm going to blame the daze and stress of travel for any anchorperson's moments of moron-hood.

And I'll post the students' stories and photos this weekend. Cheers!

No comments: